Saturday, February 11, 2012

i wonder...


To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.

~          William Blake Auguries of Innocence 

I often wonder if my words have ever provoked such thought in others as these words have provoked in me.  I am not a symbolic poet; I tend to say what I mean and mean what I say, even if I take awhile to say it.  Will a stanza from one of my poems really  make people sit back and think…well, what was she trying to say….even:

Tell me --
will this world
ever stop rotating?
Will this whirlwind
never let me out
~             Dayel Silver Whirlwind

is bold and to the point.  Even if we don’t know what, exactly the whirlwind is.  Why do these words from William Blake speak to me so much?  Why do I ponder them?  I read the whole of the Auguries of Innocence today and there are other such gems inside.  I would quote them here, but there are more than a few, and I would encourage you to find your own gems.  I quote the above simply because it is the one that started me pondering everything.  There are other random bits of poetry I ponder, and I am also left to wonder why these, among others, stick in my mind. 

Not that I bid you spare her the pain!
Let death be felt and the proof remain;
Brand, burn up, bite into its grace--
He is sure to remember her dying face

~             Robert Browning The Laboratory

I’m not sure why, but that one has been with me since my teenage years…I’m not sure I ponder this one so much as simply remember it for its harshness.  This one as well….why I was so drawn to such unforgiving poetry, I’m not sure…

My thoughts and my discourse as madmen's are,
At random from the truth vainly express'd;
For I have sworn thee fair and thought thee bright,
Who art as black as hell, as dark as night.

~             Shakspeare Sonnet 147 

Does anyone, or will anyone ever ponder my words as I do these words?  Ironically, I haven’t even quoted here some of my favorite poetry, merely random bits and pieces that have stuck in my head throughout the years…. 

Hope springs eternal in the human breast; 
Man never Is, but always To be blest. 
The soul, uneasy, and confin'd from home, 
Rests and expatiates in a life to come. 

~             Alexander Pope Essay on Man and Other Poems

Will anyone ever have my words stuck in their mind, unable to get it out?  Or…years after reading…think back and go…what were those lines again?  How did that one poem start?  I’ve had all of these stanzas unwittingly memorized for about half my life, yet while putting this together I’ve had to think really hard about what the lines were, when more often they come without thought…

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

~             T.S. Eliot The Hallow Men

These works are timeless, and that is how they have survived thus far, and will keep on surviving.  I’m sure even before Robert Frost put into words choosing one path over another, someone else already had, but Frost’s are the words that become so recognized and now it seems we’re all trying to say what he said,  just differently…

I shall be telling this will a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged into a wood, and I –
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

~             Robert Frost The Road Not Taken

Some people may look back and think I should have started with introducing this stanza, but I would never agree.  Frost happens to be one of my favorite poets, true, but I also indentify with him, I do not go out into the woods to stare at a path and wonder what in the world he meant by writing those five lines.  Yes, they are symbolic, or they could be quite literal, but at one point, the voice is saying I took one path, not another, and that shaped my life.  Many parts are left open to interpretation, but not that key part.  Whereas the four lines by William Blake and indeed the whole poem is left quite open.  At the beach I can catch myself starting at the sand and then running it through my hands in wonder…

- I don’t oft’ write in stanzas, and never the controlled, measured ones we have seen above…I think those stanzas and measures and rhymes are part of their success, part of the reason they’re so easy to get in the mind, and so hard to get out…I still wonder, I still ponder, will any one person ever ponder the meaning of my poetry in any small way?  Will anyone ever have even a small part of one of my poems stuck in their head, unable to get it out?  And so I leave you, after reading the few stanzas that I have stuck in my head these many years, with one of my own that I am also unable to get out of my head…truly, you’d think that a writer would either remember everything she’d ever written, or be able to put it aside once written, but neither of those are entirely true.  Often stanzas come to me and I have to ask myself, have I written this before?  And this one, this one came to me, and I have never been able to forget….


Tick tock
says the clock
in the hall
on the wall
as I say goodbye
You ask why
because
I always leave
and
the clock
is
ticking

~             Dayel Silver Tick Tock

Essay started 6/23/11 finished 6/24/11 - This essay is also posted on (my) KD Benji Facebook page


No comments:

Post a Comment