Friday, May 4, 2012

dreams go grey

what once foreseen
will never stay


These are the two lines echoing in my head right now, and have been for months.  Sometimes they fade, barely into the background, only to brought straight to the forefront by some happening in my life...

dreams go grey
what once foreseen
will never stay

It's a bit, a piece, of poetry, and yet I cannot finish it.  Then again, I'm not sure it's not finished.  Is it only a prologue or do those nine short words say enough?  Do I need to explain or is it enough to let be?  To me, it sounds like an openings stanza of a poem that has so much more to say, and yet the words do not come.  Only these few come and will not go away...

Only this one thing I know, I hold out my hand to grasp that dream and it falls apart as if it were dust.  As if what I once saw years ago not only is impossible now but was never meant to be.  And that breaks my heart.

Should it be "will never stay" or "can never stay"?  The difference is important, subtle, but important.  Since the words are not yet written in stone, I have not yet decided.  I think "can" sounds better with it, flows better, and gives it more of an option, not that the dream will not stay, but that it cannot.

All this I know now - even when I'm happy, and I'm happy now, I'm settled now, finally.  I'm becoming me again.  But still my heart breaks for...

dreams go grey
what once foreseen
can never stay.
~

No comments:

Post a Comment