Thursday, December 29, 2011

writer i was born

When I was a kid I had a saying:

Writer I am
Writer I was born
Writer will I ever be


The words, they just came, they never stopped, not for a minute.  Often I couldn't go to sleep because they kept coming.  Old notebooks are full of random words and thoughts put down on paper just so I could get them out of my head.  It seemed as though I could get inspiration from anything, but it was always emotion that pulled at me the most.  One of the poems I wrote that sticks so clearly in my head to this day starts with "It's raining outside and I'm crying/tears of pain and not of joy."

I didn't just write poetry, I wrote short stories, long stories, fiction, non-fiction, anything, even kept a journal, every day.  My writing over the years got better, and I was just as prolific in my late teens, if not more so.  The highlight of my poetry career though was during a term at school in Florida.  I met someone who was almost as much of a writer as I was.  We wrote poetry back and forth that whole term in my red notebook.  Was pretty amazing.  But then I transferred out and that back and forth sort of ended.  My writing didn't though - I still wrote.  By then, I wasn't journaling as much, but I was still writing, the words were still coming.

And then...somehow, well, it wasn't even sudden, but...the music stopped - it broke my heart, but it stopped.  If there are no words to hear, then there are no words to write down, if I can't write words down, how can they flow on paper?

Writer I may have been born, but...without words how can anyone write?

~

No comments:

Post a Comment